May 10th: Books as Event Themes
— It’s party season, whether that is high school prom, weddings, or summer holiday events. What books would make a good party/event theme??
I feel so unoriginal with these selections, but my imagination has failed me, so here we are. For these, let’s assume money isn’t a problem and these could all be pulled off successfully.
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
- Costumes! (Hats, rabbit ears, etc.)
- Tea party!
- Invites like these!
- Hookah? (Think electronic with no nicotine)
- Paint the (faux) roses red, then take yours home as a party favor!
- Those tiny bottles of liquor with “Drink Me” labels!
- So many other options for things!
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- I have actually no clue because it’s been too long since I read this
- Black and white striped decorations with pops of red
- Time-appropriate attire?
- Big cauldron with white light inside?
- Invites like these with “The circus arrives…”
- Clocks. Clocks everywhere?
- Tarot readings?
- Wire tree with candles + holders for the wishing tree?
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
- Yellow “brick” road (you could paint stones or whatever)
- Lots of shiny, green stuff like the Emerald City
- Silver (or ruby, if you go by the movie) slipper decorations
- Gingham tablecloths
- Faux mini hot air balloons hanging around
- Green drinks
- I’m out…but I actually had a Wizard of Oz themed birthday, once…
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
How would it work?
- Invitations like these
- 1920s attire!
- Great music, especially old-school jazz
- Everything is sparkly; lots of gold stuff, strings of pearls and faux crystals
- Big, feathery accents and other decorations
- Champagne (and other alcohol, plus some non-alcoholic substitutes for non-drinkers)
- Tiny foods that require no utensils to eat
The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- Invites are letters from Hogwarts; RSVP is a short quiz to sort you into your house
- 4 tables, decorated for each house
- HP themed drinks, anyone?
- Plus the food! So much HP food! Plus, gold foil wrapped truffles made into golden snitches!
- Hanging LED candles, “steaming” cauldrons, brooms, etc. for decorations
- Apparently quidditch pong is a thing (I snorted my coffee when I found it)